Prince Harry’s dedication to veterans charity unwavering amid loss of military titles | royal | News
Prince Harry: a royalty expert says “goodbye” to the military
It was revealed this week by Daily Express royal correspondent Richard Palmer that Harry will not be getting his three military sponsorships back and is “clearly unhappy” about it. Harry was stripped of his duties as Captain General of the Royal Marines, Commodore-in-Chief Small Ships and Diving with the Royal Navy and Honorary Air Commodore at RAF Honington when he stepped down last year. They have been vacant since March, but will each be taken over by one of the remaining royals this year.
Mr Palmer said: “Harry is clearly unhappy about losing his military sponsorships, but there are no signs of any change on that.
“His military sponsorships are expected to be extended to other family members later in 2021.
“Announcements will likely be scattered rather than made on March 31.”
Having served in the military for 10 years himself, supporting servicemen and veterans is very important to the Duke of Sussex.
His greatest achievement to date is arguably the Invictus Games, an international adaptive multi-sport event, similar to the Paralympic Games, in which wounded, injured or ill service members and veterans compete in nine sports such as wheelchair basketball and indoor rowing.
READ MORE: Meghan and Harry got ‘more airtime’ in 2020 due to canceled tour
Supporting the armed forces is a cause close to Harry’s heart
Prince Harry served in the military for 10 years
Harry has also supported the veterans’ charity Walking with the Wounded, acting as sponsor of many thought-provoking expeditions, which raise funds and awareness for the charity.
Walking with the Wounded provides mental health and employment support to former military men and women struggling with the transition to civilian life.
The Duke of Sussex is the patron of the charity’s latest initiative, the March of Oman, which will see six armed forces veterans make a 400km journey through the desert, carrying 300kg of supplies.
The association’s CEO, Ed Parker, told Express.co.uk that Harry had been with them since their very first expedition and continued to offer his support after the Megxiit.
He said: “From my point of view, he has agreed to be the sponsor of this expedition, so we remain focused on that.
Prince Harry at the South Pole with Walking with the Wounded
“Each time we have invited him to sponsor one of our expeditions he has generously agreed to be one, so as far as I am concerned there has been no change in his relationship with our organization over the of these ten years.
This goes against accusations that Harry abandoned his sponsorships by moving to California and pursuing his interests there with his wife Meghan Markle.
While the Sussexes have given up their HRH and military titles, they have remained as patrons of several charities, but there has been much speculation that the royal couple will struggle to fulfill their duties across the Atlantic, d especially as they are busy with new projects like Archewell.
However, Mr. Parker’s words indicate that Harry is still dedicated to the charities he is already a part of.
The charity’s CEO insisted that Walking with the Wounded was business as usual, despite the Megxit.
DO NOT MISS
Kate Middleton’s brilliant idea to prevent birthday harassment [REVEALED]
Princess Anne’s similarity to the Queen Mother in ‘derogatory nicknames’ [INSIGHT]
Princess Eugenie’s Frogmore exit sparks speculation: ‘Is it haunted?’ [QUOTE]
Prince Harry at the South Pole in 2013
Prince Harry announced his support for the Oman expedition from his home in the United States
The Oman march, originally scheduled to take place from November 20 to December 11, 2020, has been postponed to February 2021 due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
Last year, Harry raised awareness of the trip in a video from his California home.
He said: “At the end of this year, a year that has seen unprecedented global challenges, a group of veterans will take on an unprecedented challenge.
“In just 21 days, they will travel 400 km through Oman, including part of the largest sand desert in the world.
“Faced with scorching temperatures and pulling a cart that weighs more than three times their own weight, these veterans will have to call upon incredible physical and mental strength.
Prince Harry: Royal expert explains how Queen vetoed appeal
“For more than a decade, Walking with the Wounded has supported veterans who have suffered physical or mental injuries, all of whom have been socially disadvantaged as a result of their service.
“I am proud to once again support them and support the veterans whose determination, courage and resilience bring honor to all of us who have served.
“To the men and women selected for this team, good luck. I know people all over the world will cheer you on.
Walking with the Wounded began in 2010 with what was originally intended to be a one-off trip to the North Pole.
When its founder and CEO invited Harry to accompany them, he agreed and that changed everything.
Mr Parker told Express.co.uk: “I invited him to join us in walking to the North Pole, which clearly changed the dynamics of visibility.
“What he brought with him was the focus, the attention and the media, but also his ability – as he was a serving soldier then – to express very clearly the support he had for others. other men and women who served or had served.
“And he’s very passionate about his connection to the military, so it’s given us enormously increased visibility.”
He added: “We evolved from the expedition because the first thing we did was go to the North Pole and that was supposed to be unique, just walk to the North Pole, Make some noise and collect money and go one way.
“But with Prince Harry getting involved like he did, it kind of changed the dynamic of everything.
The Queen meets Walking with the Wounded in 2013
Prince Harry with children on the Walk of Britain in 2015
“So eventually, with the money that we raised and the profile that we managed to achieve, we found a niche in the military charity sector that is very much in the complex area of needs and so we support those who have really struggled with the transition, they have multiple needs.
After the trip to the North Pole, they climbed Mount Everest, traveled to the South Pole ‒ which Harry also joined them ‒ and did the Walk of Britain, the Walk of America and now the Walk of Oman.
Dave Adams, a veteran participant in the Oman March, said: “Knowing that the support comes from [Harry’s] level is unmatched.
“It means you’re not fighting a battle without people behind you; it is something that is very, very precious to us.
Prince Harry visiting the Walking with the Wounded center in Manchester in 2017
“Certainly I think from my perspective, he’s one of the guys, he’s one of the guys, he’s been to the theater a couple of times, so it’s having someone who knows what you walk through because the highest level of support is invaluable.”
Walking with the Wounded is also associated with the Invictus Games, to which Harry remains dedicated, and another of the Oman Walk veterans, Andy Phillips, is a former Games competitor.
The Games were first held in London in 2014, followed by Orlando in 2016, Toronto in 2017 and Sydney in 2018.
They were due to be held in The Hague last year, but were postponed to May 29 this year.